Tar Barrels explosion: Face blast man's burns 'were like something out of a horror film'
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a Tar Barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and urged the public to help find the 'idiot' whose actions left his face looking like 'something out of a horror film'.
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a Tar Barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and urged the public to help find the "idiot" whose actions left his face looking like "something out of a horror film".
Ian Chown, 23, is now recovering at home from first and second degree burns, but feared last Thursday he may be scarred for life after a night of fun turned to terror.
A police hunt is underway to find the "mindless moron" who threw an aerosol can into a lit barrel near the town's factory site.
Ian's head was engulfed in a fireball which came from the resulting blast last Thursday.
Ian, 23, was rushed 80 miles to Bristol's Frenchay Hospital burns unit. It was initially feared his injuries were so bad he would need plastic surgery.
After a 20-hour hospital stay, Ian was told by medics his burns are superficial, and he is hopeful of making a full recovery.
- 1 New store launches in Sidmouth's Fore Street
- 2 Ukraine refugee supporter Mukie opens community cafe
- 3 Preparations begin in earnest for Folk Festival
- 4 Sidmouth’s first Jazz Festival hits the right note
- 5 Stark warning on spending from Devon finance chief
- 6 New direction and new chair at Vision Group for Sidmouth
- 7 The sky's the limit as parachute jump raises £2,426 for Hospiscare
- 8 Simon Jupp calls for Prime Minister's resignation
- 9 Date set for Straitgate Quarry appeal hearing
- 10 Care home welcomes town council chairman during 'Wimbledon' afternoon
He told the Herald while recovering at home today:
"I just want to get better-and let the barrels carry on. It's an awesome tradition and I don't want it ruined by some thoughtless idiot."
Read more of Ian's story in this Friday's Ottery Herald.