Tar Barrels explosion: Face blast man's burns 'were like something out of a horror film'
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a Tar Barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and urged the public to help find the 'idiot' whose actions left his face looking like 'something out of a horror film'.
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a Tar Barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and urged the public to help find the "idiot" whose actions left his face looking like "something out of a horror film".
Ian Chown, 23, is now recovering at home from first and second degree burns, but feared last Thursday he may be scarred for life after a night of fun turned to terror.
A police hunt is underway to find the "mindless moron" who threw an aerosol can into a lit barrel near the town's factory site.
Ian's head was engulfed in a fireball which came from the resulting blast last Thursday.
You may also want to watch:
Ian, 23, was rushed 80 miles to Bristol's Frenchay Hospital burns unit. It was initially feared his injuries were so bad he would need plastic surgery.
After a 20-hour hospital stay, Ian was told by medics his burns are superficial, and he is hopeful of making a full recovery.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 The more we work together the better it will be
- 6 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
- 10 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
He told the Herald while recovering at home today:
"I just want to get better-and let the barrels carry on. It's an awesome tradition and I don't want it ruined by some thoughtless idiot."
Read more of Ian's story in this Friday's Ottery Herald.