Tar Barrels explosion: Face blast man's burns 'were like something out of a horror film'
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a Tar Barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and urged the public to help find the 'idiot' whose actions left his face looking like 'something out of a horror film'.
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a Tar Barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and urged the public to help find the "idiot" whose actions left his face looking like "something out of a horror film".
Ian Chown, 23, is now recovering at home from first and second degree burns, but feared last Thursday he may be scarred for life after a night of fun turned to terror.
A police hunt is underway to find the "mindless moron" who threw an aerosol can into a lit barrel near the town's factory site.
Ian's head was engulfed in a fireball which came from the resulting blast last Thursday.
Ian, 23, was rushed 80 miles to Bristol's Frenchay Hospital burns unit. It was initially feared his injuries were so bad he would need plastic surgery.
After a 20-hour hospital stay, Ian was told by medics his burns are superficial, and he is hopeful of making a full recovery.
- 1 Night-time fish thief makes daring raids on Otter Garden Centre pond
- 2 'I am pro-vaccine, but I am also pro-choice'
- 3 Exciting discovery as Sidmouth observatory reopens
- 4 Sidmouth on the climb while Otters rebuild
- 5 Litter pickers shocked by amount of waste in river Otter
- 6 Sidmouth Repair Cafe to hold first session of the New Year
- 7 'Stunning' donation made to Dream-A-Way by HMS Defender
- 8 'Generous' donations kept Sidmouth Lifeboat afloat in 2021
- 9 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
- 10 Mental health awareness and fundraising at Sidmouth
He told the Herald while recovering at home today:
"I just want to get better-and let the barrels carry on. It's an awesome tradition and I don't want it ruined by some thoughtless idiot."
Read more of Ian's story in this Friday's Ottery Herald.