Tar Barrels explosion: Face blast man's burns 'were like something out of a horror film'
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a Tar Barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and urged the public to help find the 'idiot' whose actions left his face looking like 'something out of a horror film'.
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a Tar Barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and urged the public to help find the "idiot" whose actions left his face looking like "something out of a horror film".
Ian Chown, 23, is now recovering at home from first and second degree burns, but feared last Thursday he may be scarred for life after a night of fun turned to terror.
A police hunt is underway to find the "mindless moron" who threw an aerosol can into a lit barrel near the town's factory site.
Ian's head was engulfed in a fireball which came from the resulting blast last Thursday.
You may also want to watch:
Ian, 23, was rushed 80 miles to Bristol's Frenchay Hospital burns unit. It was initially feared his injuries were so bad he would need plastic surgery.
After a 20-hour hospital stay, Ian was told by medics his burns are superficial, and he is hopeful of making a full recovery.
- 1 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 2 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 3 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 4 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 5 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 6 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 7 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 8 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 9 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 10 Sidmouth charity shop needs your donations!
He told the Herald while recovering at home today:
"I just want to get better-and let the barrels carry on. It's an awesome tradition and I don't want it ruined by some thoughtless idiot."
Read more of Ian's story in this Friday's Ottery Herald.