Teddy appeal captures imagination of town
- Credit: Archant
A couple’s appeal to raffle off teddy bears to thank a prostate cancer charity has captured the imagination of the town – and revealed the impact of the little-discussed illness.
Jeannie Alderdice and John Wycherley have received more than 60 of the cuddly toys, some crafted specially, others clearly with huge sentimental value.
The shop owners want to thank Prostate Cancer UK because of the support it gave to John and Jeannie’s dad, Peter Sharp.
Both were diagnosed within a matter of months of each other.
“The appeal has really captured people’s imaginations,” said John, 62.
You may also want to watch:
“We had one teddy that must be 70 years old – the woman who donated it must have had it most of her life – and a bag of four teddies from a lady whose husband had prostate cancer.
“Quite a few people said they wanted to do something because they’d lost a husband. I’m glad it’s raising awareness – so many people don’t know about it.”
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
Jeannie knew nothing of the cancer before January, but soon her dad had been diagnosed.
What he thought was a stitch has now been removed – and a small, non-aggressive growth had been found on John’s prostate.
The couple hope to collect 100 crocheted, knitted or new plush teddies for a raffle at 2pm on Saturday, September 19, which can be taken into Sidmouth Gifts up to the day before.
Tickets are available now and also give a chance to win a limited edition silver tag teddy bear.