Teddy appeal captures imagination of town
- Credit: Archant
A couple’s appeal to raffle off teddy bears to thank a prostate cancer charity has captured the imagination of the town – and revealed the impact of the little-discussed illness.
Jeannie Alderdice and John Wycherley have received more than 60 of the cuddly toys, some crafted specially, others clearly with huge sentimental value.
The shop owners want to thank Prostate Cancer UK because of the support it gave to John and Jeannie’s dad, Peter Sharp.
Both were diagnosed within a matter of months of each other.
“The appeal has really captured people’s imaginations,” said John, 62.
You may also want to watch:
“We had one teddy that must be 70 years old – the woman who donated it must have had it most of her life – and a bag of four teddies from a lady whose husband had prostate cancer.
“Quite a few people said they wanted to do something because they’d lost a husband. I’m glad it’s raising awareness – so many people don’t know about it.”
- 1 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Local storyteller looks to folklore for reminders that every action has consequences
- 9 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
Jeannie knew nothing of the cancer before January, but soon her dad had been diagnosed.
What he thought was a stitch has now been removed – and a small, non-aggressive growth had been found on John’s prostate.
The couple hope to collect 100 crocheted, knitted or new plush teddies for a raffle at 2pm on Saturday, September 19, which can be taken into Sidmouth Gifts up to the day before.
Tickets are available now and also give a chance to win a limited edition silver tag teddy bear.