Tenants’ conference in Ottery exceeds expectations
ANYONE who has been involved in organising an event knows it owes most of its success to luck.
ANYONE who has been involved in organising an event knows it owes most of its success to luck." So says Council tenant Sue Saunders, who chairs the East Devon Tenant and Leaseholder Customer Panel.
Sue goes on to say: "There must have been a considerable number of people touching wood on Wednesday 17 June because the third East Devon Tenants' Conference succeeded beyond all expectations. The Tumbling Weir Hotel proved itself an ideal venue - comfortable and friendly - and we had a really good turn-out of tenants.
"'Meet the Staff', a non-romantic version of speed-dating, gave each tenant an opportunity to speak to staff from every housing department and the laughter it caused helped to break the ice, setting the mood for the rest of the day.
"Following a delicious lunch we were treated to a talk by Professor Karl Chinn, who lectures in the history of social housing. He turned what could be a dry, boring subject into a lively and thought-provoking experience.
You may also want to watch:
"Talks by Senior Housing Officers; the presence of local Councillors and the Chief Executive, Mark Williams all added to a thoroughly enjoyable day".
Representatives from each area of the EDDC Housing Service were on hand so that tenants could discuss their problems or concerns with officers face-to-face.
- 1 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 2 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 3 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 4 Sidmouth charity shop needs your donations!
- 5 Sidmouth poised for a title push
- 6 Batty fun activities for all at donkey sanctuary
- 7 Property of the Week: Green Gables
- 8 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' in crash near Ottery St Mary
- 9 New interiors showroom offers inspiration for your home
- 10 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
Delegates also heard talks about Devon Wide Choice Based Lettings and details of improvements to the Housing Needs Service.