Sidmouth gardeners show off talents in annual competition
- Credit: Archant
Nearly 50 green-fingered residents brought some tough competition, showing off their gardening skills in the Tenants Garden Competition 2019.
There were 48 entries in this year's contest, which is an annual event organised by Bev Anderson - tenant participation assistant in the housing service at East Devon District Council (EDDC).
Horticultural consultant Kieron Bewes judged the competition and used the Royal Horticultural Society judging method to evaluate the entries.
An EDDC spokesman said the standard of gardens this year was particularly high with 26 entries achieving gold awards, 19 silver and three bronze.
A prize winners' ceremony was held at the Froginwell Vineyard, Woodbury Salterton on August 6, where the winners were presented with their prizes, followed by a celebratory tea.
You may also want to watch:
Among the winners were:
- Mr Fowler (Sidmouth) - gold - containers and hanging baskets.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 8 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
- 9 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 10 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- Mrs Kimber (Newton Poppleford) - gold - front garden.
- Mr Meekings (Sidmouth) - gold - disabled garden.
- Mrs Randall (Sidmouth) - silver - front garden.
- Mrs Sullivan (Sidmouth) - silver - disabled garden.
- Mrs Travers (Sidmouth) - silver - front garden.
- Mrs Wood (Ottery St Mary) - silver - containers and hanging baskets.
- Arcot Park and Friends Club (Sidmouth) - bronze - communal garden.
Councillor Megan Armstrong attended the event together with sponsors Craig Jones, from Ian Williams Ltd, and William Morrison, of Thistle Insurance. Raffle prizes were donated by Bradfords and Bev Anderson.
Cllr Megan Armstrong said: "Having attended previous garden competition prize giving events, I have always been very impressed by the number and quality of gardens entered into this annual competition for our council tenants.
"This year has been no exception and I was thrilled to be able to present some of the certificates in my new role as portfolio holder for housing and communities.
"I would like to congratulate all the winners and to thank them and everyone else who entered for their hard work, patience and enthusiasm in helping to make their gardens and their communities so attractive."