Tennis courts need makeover
NEWTON Poppleford and Harpford Tennis Club members are on a mission to raise �20,000 to resurface their two all weather, floodlit courts.
The surfaces suffered so much in the floods of 2008 they are now in need of a complete overhaul. To replace them will cost around �30,000, and although the club has �10,000 saved toward this work, members still have �20,000 to find.
Donations have come in from local residents and the club will be writing to a number of organisations asking if they can help, as well as putting on a variety of fundraising events.
Club chairman Chris Burhop said: “The courts were badly affected by the floods in October and December 2008, when Tipton St John’s courts were destroyed.
“While we had them deep cleaned to remove the mud and silt, the wear from the flood and subsequent cleaning operation has taken years off their lives.”
You may also want to watch:
The club has always endeavoured to make sure its fees are the lowest in the area, to encourage as many people to play as possible. It has developed significantly in the last few years, joining the Lawn Tennis Association, playing league and friendly matches and seeing the courts used by Newton Poppleford Primary School.
Chris said: “It’s a tremendous facility for the village which has been enjoyed by a great number of people since the courts were originally laid, and we need to ensure that it’s here for the coming generations to enjoy.”
- 1 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 2 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 3 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 4 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 5 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
- 6 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 7 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 8 ‘Act now’ to get flood-prone school relocated, councillor urges Government
- 9 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 10 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
Anyone who would like to make a donation or has any fundraising ideas can call Chris on (01395) 568945 or visit www.newtonpopplefordtennis.co.uk.