The FORCE is with Sidmouth walkers
Charity trek raises �2,000
INTREPID walkers young and old took on the Sid Valley Rotary Club’s Heritage Coast Challenge to raise more than �2,000 cancer charity FORCE.
Fundraisers trekked from Abbotsbury to Exmouth along the Jurassic Coast path over three days – covering a total of 800 miles between them.
People of all ages, from ten to some in their 70’s, took part together with innumerable dogs.
Rotarian David Jackson, who has organised the event for the last six years, said “We are very grateful to all the walkers, who gave their time and effort to support this valuable local charity and to all those who sponsored them. Sponsorship money is coming in and we believe that we will have raised between �2,000 and �3,000 for FORCE.”
You may also want to watch:
Twenty-mile long stages climbed and descended heights equivalent to Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike, respectively, as the first leg from Abbotsbury to Lyme Regis and Lyme Regis to Sidmouth proved a challenge to experienced walkers.
The Sunday from Sidmouth to Exmouth was a little easier.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
Some people joined for just one of the days, but a hardy group of seven walked the whole three.
Walker Ruth Elliott said “I thoroughly enjoyed the walk and the banter with the other participants. Thanks to Sid Valley Rotary Club for superb organisation of the event.”
Next year’s event is already being planned. Anybody who wishes to be sent details nearer the time can register their interest with David at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anybody wishing to donate to the FORCE Cancer Support charity can do so on-line at www.justgiving.com/Sid-Valley-Rotary-Club.