The past in pictures
- Credit: Archant
From the very first days of photography, the camera has recorded the shops and streets of Sidmouth.
The area below the parish church at the top of Church Street is of particular interest.
From the photographs you can see there were many different businesses that, over the years, traded from the shops.
In the late 1800s, lace became very fashionable and the buildings were smartened up to welcome the grand people who came to buy it.
The thatched buildings, immediately below the church, were destroyed by fire 90 years ago, in 1927.
You may also want to watch:
The shops and cottages were devastated, nearly 30 people were left homeless and five business premises were ravaged.
The site was rebuilt in 1928 – 1929.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
At the bottom of Church Street, running around the corner into the Market Place, stood thatched cottages and shops.
It is recorded that there was a fish shop owned by a Mr Robert Bartlett trading here as early as 1826.
The last business to trade appears to be Theophilus Mortimore selling poultry.
By the 1880s the thatched buildings had been neglected and were in a dilapidated condition.
They were purchased by the Local Board for £700 for demolition.
They were pulled down in 1886 and, with the walls more than four feet thick in parts, the job needed both men and horses to destroy them.
The construction of the interior of the building and materials discovered suggested that the cottages could have be constructed between 1574 and 1587.
In 1888 a brick building was erected on the site by Mr Gliddon.