The Times names Sidmouth a top place to live!
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth is one of the top places in the country to live, according to The Times newspaper.
Experts at Bricks & Mortar, a Times supplement, described the town as a handsome Regency seaside with much to offer, including quality restaurants, independent shops and the sailing club.
They wrote: “There’s a saying that people go to die in Sidmouth, but then continue to live for ever.”
The Herald asked its Facebook followers what made the town so special - and residents past and present responded, stating they were not surprised to hear of the Times’ praise.
Judy Greene said: “It is the perfect place, from the beautiful Byes to the wonderful beach. There is a great variety of shops, few chain stores, fabulous eateries and a luxury cinema. It has clean air, it’s peaceful and the valley of the bulbs project is an added bonus.”
Katie Williamson added: “I was born and grew up in Sidmouth. I love the Byes. It’s my beautiful home.”
Julie Edwards, who has the Herald delivered to South America, said the town was still very important to her family.
- 1 Plans for quarry at Ottery St Mary REFUSED
- 2 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 3 Yellow weather warning for ice and snow in Devon tonight
- 4 Council set to approve plans for a new quarry in Ottery St Mary
- 5 Ottery's big switch on lights up the town
- 6 New look for interior of Sidmouth's Norman Lockyer Observatory
- 7 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 8 Sidmouth's band announces cancelled concerts
- 9 Sidmouth late night shopping is back after the pandemic
- 10 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
“Being born and bred there and having spent so much time there, it will always be my second home. So many truly wonderful memories,” she said.
Amanda Marks posted: “I love Sidmouth. I have lived here all my life. Lovely schools, lovely shops and people. It’s expensive to live here, but it’s like being on holiday every day. Just fabulous.”
Rhossili, South Gower in Wales, was voted the top destination to live.