Thousands of pounds raised for Newton Poppleford Primary School
- Credit: Archant
Parents, grandparents and teachers ran a 10k course around Sidmouth raising thousands of pounds for Newton Poppleford Primary School.
A whopping £3,475 was collected by the 17 runners who took part in the event around the town’s streets last Saturday (March 24).
UK Olympian Jo Pavey fired the starting pistol for the run, which was supported by Sidmouth Running Club.
First to finish was dad-of-two Paul Sexton who completed the challenge in just over 44 minutes closely followed by Simon Finch.
All the runners passed the finish line within one hour and eight minutes.
You may also want to watch:
The Herald has previously reported on the campaign launched by PTFA at Newton Poppleford Primary School to raise £10,000.
The village’s new £3million school is set to open in September but up to £30,000 is needed to help pay for vital supplies and furniture.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 5 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 9 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight
The PTFA has organised a host of fundraisers and has lots of plans for the summer.
So far, the group has raised £6,850 towards its target.
Mum-of-two Emma Finch, from West Hill, who is spearheading the drive, said: “We have done brilliantly well so far but we have a lot more to achieve.
“It’s now time to get all the school children involved in different sponsored activities and we have explained to them that if everyone does a little bit it will add up to a lot of money.”
Emma said the children were all being encouraged to take part in at least one sponsored activity over the summer term ranging from the 16-mile Exmoor walking challenge for year six students to a sponsored run and a ‘Dance’athon taking place at the school summer fete on June 29, as well as a 24-hour ‘Read’athon.
The school and the PTFA would like to thank all their supporters so far, including all private sponsors like Tesco, Purple Bricks, Elliots builders, Seasalt and the Norman Family Trust.
To donate to the cause text NPPS10 £10 to 70070 to donate £10 or visit justgiving.com/newton popplefordschoolassociation.