Baby treated after Woodbury flat fire

PUBLISHED: 07:22 17 July 2018 | UPDATED: 07:39 17 July 2018

Three fire crews attended the scene

Three fire crews attended the scene

Archant

Three suffer smoke inhalation after gas cooker blaze.

A five-day-old baby and a man and woman in their 30s suffered smoke inhalation after a kitchen fire at Woodbury last night (Monday, July 16).

Firefighters from Honiton, Middlemoor and Newton Abbott were called to the blaze at a flat above the post office in Broadway at around 8pm.

Within minutes of the first appliance arriving and gaining entry to the first floor flat kitchen of the semi detached property, they located the fire involving a gas cooker.

They set to work extinguishing it with two breathing apparatus wearers, a hose reel jet and a safety jet as a precaution.

At 8.37pm crews confirmed that whilst all occupants had been accounted for, two adults - a male and female in their 30s - and a five-day-old baby were suffering from smoke inhalation. They were initially checked over by fire service crews, until the arrival of the ambulance crew.

At 8.41pm the incident was confirmed to be under control. After extinguishing the fire, which started accidentally, the gas cooker was removed to open air. Damage was confined to the cooker and there was no fire spread. After making the scene safe, duty of care was left with the residents of the privately rented flat and the ambulance crew.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists