Time is flying for air cadet chief
TIME is flying for Sidmouth Air Cadets’ new flight lieutenant.
Dave Toomey has been with the squadron since May and has just been promoted from flying officer to flight lieutenant following his transfer from Exmouth Air Cadets.
The group of 20 cadets meets in Higher Meadow, Manstone Avenue on Tuesday and Thursday, 7pm til 9.30pm. Plans have been drawn up for a new building near the soon-to-be-constructed Stowford Community Centre and it’s hoped it will be completed by April.
As well as flying and gliding, the 13-18 year-olds take part in activities including Ten Tors, camping, rock climbing, target shooting and sports. They also go on trips to air shows, run summer camps, and study aeronautics, public services and music for BTEC qualifications.
Ex-para Dave, who trains police officers at Middlemoor in Exeter, said: “It’s so far so good, and I’m looking to double cadet numbers in the next two years. I want to increase the opportunities for young people to enjoy themselves and make the most of the opportunities we offer.”
As part of a national organisation, cadets are open to international opportunities – Dave recently joined a group from across the country on an expedition to Borneo, jungle trekking, mountain climbing and white water rafting.
The 59-year-old said the best part of his role was watching the young people mature.
- 1 UPDATE: Man dies after A3052 accident
- 2 Chiefs' rebranding dignifies the club and city
- 3 Do you have a crocodile bush near you?
- 4 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 5 Simply having a wonderful Christmas time in Sidmouth
- 6 Join fellow freelancers and homeworkers at Sidmouth's ‘Jelly' sessions
- 7 Three injured in Sidmouth road accident
- 8 From Sidmouth with solidarity: amnesty group writes to overseas political prisoners
- 9 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
To find out more call Dave on 07933621052 or email email@example.com.