Time is flying for air cadet chief
TIME is flying for Sidmouth Air Cadets’ new flight lieutenant.
Dave Toomey has been with the squadron since May and has just been promoted from flying officer to flight lieutenant following his transfer from Exmouth Air Cadets.
The group of 20 cadets meets in Higher Meadow, Manstone Avenue on Tuesday and Thursday, 7pm til 9.30pm. Plans have been drawn up for a new building near the soon-to-be-constructed Stowford Community Centre and it’s hoped it will be completed by April.
As well as flying and gliding, the 13-18 year-olds take part in activities including Ten Tors, camping, rock climbing, target shooting and sports. They also go on trips to air shows, run summer camps, and study aeronautics, public services and music for BTEC qualifications.
Ex-para Dave, who trains police officers at Middlemoor in Exeter, said: “It’s so far so good, and I’m looking to double cadet numbers in the next two years. I want to increase the opportunities for young people to enjoy themselves and make the most of the opportunities we offer.”
You may also want to watch:
As part of a national organisation, cadets are open to international opportunities – Dave recently joined a group from across the country on an expedition to Borneo, jungle trekking, mountain climbing and white water rafting.
The 59-year-old said the best part of his role was watching the young people mature.
- 1 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 2 New minibus takes voluntary service's fleet to three
- 3 Fancy a pint? Help support the survival of your local
- 4 Village summer fair returns to support local charities
- 5 Repaint of fish mural brightens up The Ham
- 6 Town's garden competition effort judged
- 7 Festival benefits connected businesses as well
- 8 New interiors showroom offers inspiration for your home
- 9 Donkey sanctuary's new trail and batty activities this summer
- 10 Wheels fall off for Tipton
To find out more call Dave on 07933621052 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.