Tipton’s Traci to carry Olympic torch
London 2012 honour for fundraiser
SPORTY fundraiser Traci Markell will be holding a torch for Tipton St John when she carries the Olympic flame in May.
The 43-year-old Aussie, of Hayne Close, was nominated for the London 2012 honour by her bosses at South West Water after she used activities like running and cycling to boost charities.
Games chiefs this week revealed the names of 8,000 torch bearers from across the UK -secretly put forward for being inspirational.
Traci has encouraged colleagues to help causes like Water Aid and the Stroke Association over the last two years.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a complete shock,” she said of finding out she will carry the torch on the morning of Monday, May 21, in Exeter.
“I’m thrilled. It’s one of those things not many people get the opportunity to do. Being an Aussie, who grew up in Melbourne, to have the Olympic Games so close and to be involved is superb – it’s awesome.”
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 3 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 4 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 5 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 6 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 7 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 8 East Devon affordable housing task force
- 9 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 10 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
“I think it will be my highlight of my next couple of years. It will definitely be a Monday morning with a difference.”
Traci said the day will be extra special as her mum, Joan English, will travel from Australia to see her carry the torch.
She added her partner and fellow sport-lover, Andrew Roantree, 50, was proud and delighted.
“He calls me Torchie!” said Traci.