Tipton’s Traci to carry Olympic torch
London 2012 honour for fundraiser
SPORTY fundraiser Traci Markell will be holding a torch for Tipton St John when she carries the Olympic flame in May.
The 43-year-old Aussie, of Hayne Close, was nominated for the London 2012 honour by her bosses at South West Water after she used activities like running and cycling to boost charities.
Games chiefs this week revealed the names of 8,000 torch bearers from across the UK -secretly put forward for being inspirational.
Traci has encouraged colleagues to help causes like Water Aid and the Stroke Association over the last two years.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a complete shock,” she said of finding out she will carry the torch on the morning of Monday, May 21, in Exeter.
“I’m thrilled. It’s one of those things not many people get the opportunity to do. Being an Aussie, who grew up in Melbourne, to have the Olympic Games so close and to be involved is superb – it’s awesome.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 The more we work together the better it will be
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
“I think it will be my highlight of my next couple of years. It will definitely be a Monday morning with a difference.”
Traci said the day will be extra special as her mum, Joan English, will travel from Australia to see her carry the torch.
She added her partner and fellow sport-lover, Andrew Roantree, 50, was proud and delighted.
“He calls me Torchie!” said Traci.