Tom is the next Stig!
SIDMOUTH resident Mary Smith is watching proudly as her great nephew burns a trail through the racing world.
Tom Blomqvist, pictured right, son of 11-time World Rally driver Stig, won rounds 13 and 14 of the Michelin Formula Renault UK Championship at Silverstone on Sunday.
The 16-year-old New Zealander was the youngest winner of a Formula Renault UK race during last year’s Winter Cup. By winning at Silverstone he added his name to the 2010 Michelin Formula Renault UK Championship title contenders.
Mary, of Ridgeway Mead, Sidmouth, said the driver’s passion for cars started with karting aged eight. Her brother Len Freshwater followed Tom from New Zealand to England as part of his backup team.
The last time Tom was in Sidmouth was six years ago, but he’s been travelling around the UK the whole summer racing. He came second to Harry Tincknell, of Sidmouth, in a race at Snetterton circuit in Norfolk a fortnight ago, watched by his mum Kim.
You may also want to watch:
Mary said: “I am proud of Tom, he is very dedicated. From a young age he used to go with my brother to the races.”
Tom’s brother Paul, 14, has also inherited the racing bug.
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 5 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 6 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 7 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 8 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 9 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 10 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
Mary said: “He’s too young to be doing the same races as Tom, but he does race, in New Zealand and in a smaller way.”
The next stop for Tom is Knockhill Racing Circuit in Scotland on September 4 and 5.