Tom is the next Stig!
SIDMOUTH resident Mary Smith is watching proudly as her great nephew burns a trail through the racing world.
Tom Blomqvist, pictured right, son of 11-time World Rally driver Stig, won rounds 13 and 14 of the Michelin Formula Renault UK Championship at Silverstone on Sunday.
The 16-year-old New Zealander was the youngest winner of a Formula Renault UK race during last year’s Winter Cup. By winning at Silverstone he added his name to the 2010 Michelin Formula Renault UK Championship title contenders.
Mary, of Ridgeway Mead, Sidmouth, said the driver’s passion for cars started with karting aged eight. Her brother Len Freshwater followed Tom from New Zealand to England as part of his backup team.
The last time Tom was in Sidmouth was six years ago, but he’s been travelling around the UK the whole summer racing. He came second to Harry Tincknell, of Sidmouth, in a race at Snetterton circuit in Norfolk a fortnight ago, watched by his mum Kim.
You may also want to watch:
Mary said: “I am proud of Tom, he is very dedicated. From a young age he used to go with my brother to the races.”
Tom’s brother Paul, 14, has also inherited the racing bug.
- 1 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 2 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 3 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 4 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 5 Sidmouth supermarket helps out children living in poverty
- 6 Good old-fashioned common sense is what's needed
- 7 Pre-season fun for a rugby player
- 8 Another record for Kirsteen
- 9 Hot! Hot! Hot! Haytor Heller
- 10 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
Mary said: “He’s too young to be doing the same races as Tom, but he does race, in New Zealand and in a smaller way.”
The next stop for Tom is Knockhill Racing Circuit in Scotland on September 4 and 5.