Top tourism recognition for Sidmouth and Ottery businesses
- Credit: Archant
Businesses in Sidmouth and Ottery St Mary are flying the flag for quality as finalists in the prestigious Devon Tourism Awards 2015.
Triple-finalist Mazzard Farm, in East Hill, Ottery St Mary, has been recognised for its excellence in sustainability, self-catering accommodation and international visitor experience.
Dukes of Sidmouth will battle it out for the pub of the year title, while Oakdown Country Holiday Park, in Gatedown Lane, has been shortlisted in the camping and caravanning park category.
The Sea Shanty Beach Café in Branscombe achieved a highly commended title in the café and tearoom of the year category.
Now in its sixth year, the awards – launched in association with Visit England – received a record number of entries showing an increase of 34 per cent.
You may also want to watch:
Ruud Jansen Vennoboer, of Mazzard Farm, said: “The one thing we invest a lot of time and energy in is the sustainable side. We are delighted to be recognised as a self catering establishment as well.
“As a two-man band, my wife and I wear many hats. To know that we are up against a business like Plymouth Marine Aquarium is a really good position to be in.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 7 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 8 The more we work together the better it will be
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
Chairman of the awards panel David Fursdon said: “The Devon Tourism Awards have shown once again that this county has a wonderful group of hardworking and imaginative entrepreneurs whose tourism businesses are a credit to them; a source of pride to those of us who live here and act as a powerful magnet to those who visit.”
Winners will be announced at a ceremony on November 26, at the Holiday Inn in Plymouth and successful businesses will be fast tracked into the South West Tourism Excellence Awards and could be invited to represent Devon in the national Visit England Awards.