Tour of Britain fever hits Ottery St Mary
- Credit: Archant
Picnics, posh nosh, painted bikes and more as town promotes pedal power
A big splash of colour, themed cuisine and community spirit are on the cards as Ottery gears up to welcome the Tour of Britain.
Plans are shaping up well ahead of Friday, September 9, when WorldTour teams, which could include cyclists Sir Bradley Wiggins and Mark Cavendish MBE, are set to race through the town for the first time.
A big breakfast – organised by Ottery’s Food and Families Festival committee – will be hosted at most eateries, giving spectators the opportunity to fill up on the likes of a ‘Wiggins Whoopper’ or a ‘Caven-dish’.
Members of the youth club will be painting bikes red, white and blue to go on display, primary school pupils are planning a picnic and giant display to be seen from the air and businesses will join in with themed window decorations.
You may also want to watch:
A public picnic will take place at the Land of Canaan on Sunday, September 4, from 2pm to 4pm, where there will be prizes for the best decorated bicycle and bike-themed costume.
There will be quizzes, decorations and celebrations aplenty and people are encouraged to wear colourful or Ottery-themed clothes on the day.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip