Town council to express support for Seaton and Honiton over bed cuts
PUBLISHED: 14:09 13 March 2017
Civic leaders voted to express their sympathy and support to their counterparts in Seaton and Honiton after news that both communities would lose their inpatient beds – but Sidmouth’s will remain.
The town council is also set to write to the NEW Devon CCG to reiterate its opposition to any loss of beds in East Devon.
Sidmouth was initially recommended to lose its inpatient facility, but the shock decision came last week that Seaton would lose out instead. Honiton was not included in the consultation.
Speaking at Monday’s meeting, Councillor Louise Cole said: “This isn’t the end – it’s critical that we keep applying pressure. We should write to Seaton, Honiton, and to the CCG to express our displeasure at the additional impact this will have.”
Cllr David Barratt added: “Sidmouth is our primary concern, so this is fantastic - congratulations to everyone involved. Having said that, we cannot be complacent. Goodness knows what the next development is. We fended them off this time.
“I think these cuts are deeply flawed – the NHS isn’t providing this care in the community. We should express our concern.”
Summing up, council chairman Cllr Jeff Turner said: “We are delighted that we are retaining our beds, but still concerned about the total reduction and what impact it will have in Sidmouth.
“We would like to see care in the community before any beds close.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.