Town gears up to celebrate famous son
Next weekend will see the centenary celebrations to Sidmouth’s most-famous son, RF Delderfield.
Marion Lindsey-Noble, who wrote a biography of the man known for such titles as A Horseman Riding By and Worm’s Eye View, has planned a day of events at Kennaway House.
The organisers have received messages of support from celebrities such as Patsy Kensit and Nigel Havers, which will be read out by an actress on the day.
The celebrations will include performances of Delderfield’s play Sailors Beware! by members of Sidmouth Amateur Dramatic Society, and guided tours through Sidmouth focussing on places and residences connected to the author and his family.
Sally Sedgman, who was the basis for one of Delderfield’s characters, will speak about her association with the family, and, health permitting, Veronica and Richard Persse, his daughter and son-in-law will be attending as well.
You may also want to watch:
Marion said the Delderfield Centenary Team were getting very excited as preparations for the day neared completion, adding: “It promises to be a fabulous day; a fitting tribute to one of Sidmouth’s most famous and popular residents.”
She wanted to thank some of the sponsors, including Richard Eley of Delderfield’s shop in the town, Sidmouth Town Council and the Rotary Club.
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 3 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 7 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
Some tickets are still available from Paragon Books, High Street, and from Kennaway House priced at �5.