Town is backdrop as cameras roll on Baby Cow ‘dark comedy’
- Credit: Archant
Steve Coogan’s production company remains tight-lipped about filming around Sidmouth that has piqued people’s interest.
Little is known about Baby Cow Productions’ new film, but its working title is ‘Camping’ and it is believed to star 2012’s Rufus Jones and Julia Davis - who is best-known for playing Dawn in Gavin and Stacey.
After searching for suitable locations in independent retailers, filming was underway this week, with locations including the Radway Inn, Another Man’s Treasure and Sidmouth Wines.
Radway Inn manager Tony Hulse said: “All I know is it’s a dark comedy and they’re off to the next location. They don’t tell you what’s what.
“I’m sure they’ll be in touch to let us know what’s going on.”
You may also want to watch:
Jac Bevan, of Another Man’s Treasure, is well-versed in the magic of theatre from his time as a professional actor. He said: “The scene they filmed here, the actor was in German lederhosen and looking for a coat to cover himself.
“It looked funny, but not after the 10th take. I felt a bit sorry for the actors – it’s quite boring doing the same thing over and over again.”
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 8 Date announced for unveiling of Ottery's Coleridge statue
- 9 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
The shop stayed open and Jac may have been in shot - but he will have to wait and see if he makes the final cut.
Sidmouth Wines owner Natalie Bowditch said: “I don’t know what I was expecting. There was a bigger crew than I thought. It made it a bit more surreal.
“They’ve been very tight-lipped about the whole thing.”
She added: “I was out the back – there’s a little part of me that did want to be on TV.
“Everyone was really excited. We had a lot of people outside watching what was happening. It’s good for the town.
“I’ll definitely watch it. It’s going to be quite exciting seeing my shop on the telly.”
Security guards were outside managing passers-by, but one determined customer wandered into the shop – seemingly not noticing the rolling cameras.
Baby Cow was formed in 1999 by Alan Partridge creator Steve Coogan with Henry Normal, and now has The Thick of It writer Armando Ianucci as its creative director. It has produced episodes of Alan Partridge, The Trip and Gavin and Stacey.
The crew is also filming in Budleigh and Otterton.