Tracy will go to new heights for Freewheelers
- Credit: Archant
A SIDMOUTH sales assistant was so touched by the work of her employer’s charity of the year she has decided to scale North Africa’s highest mountain.
Fields worker Tracy Allen will take on the 4,176-metre-high Mount Toubkal to raise cash for Devon Freewheelers.
The mum-of-two decided to take the store’s fundraising antics to new heights after she and colleagues were briefed on how volunteers deliver urgent medical samples, drugs, surgical equipment and donor organs across Devon for the NHS at no charge.
Tracy is so motivated to help the cause she is even breaking a promise made to herself to steer clear of mountains.
She had previously climbed a peak in Switzerland - but the gruelling effort looked to be her first and only foray into such challenges.
You may also want to watch:
However, the inspirational work of the Freewheelers has motivated her to put her climbing boots back on.
“After listening to what the Freewheelers do, it really made me want to think of ideas to try and raise money,” said Tracy, 52.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 7 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 10 Debut in the Dartmoor League
“What they do is just remarkable – I wanted to give something back.”
Tracy, who lives in Honiton, will jet out to Morocco in June and head to the Atlas Mountains.
She will be part of a group of 14 people including her husband. The entire trek will take four days.
Devon Freewheelers is Fields’ charity of the year.
The store’s Claire Jenkins said: “We have to put ourselves out there as that is exactly what they do for us.
“Tracy has everyone’s full backing.”
To sponsor Tracy visit www.charitygiving.co.uk/tracyallen or call into Fields where forms are available.