Traders choose Ottery
TWO new shops in Ottery are hoping to show the town is open for business.
CCA Car Accessories and Paul Ashby-Crane and Sons jewellers are both in Mill Street.
This is the seventh week Chris and Carole Astridge, at CCA, have been open. Having lived in Peterborough and Heathrow, they got to know Ottery through Chris’s brother.
Chris was a lorry driver for 30 years and Carole was a postal worker for 12 years.
Carole said: “Chris had had enough of being on the road, and we came across this shop on the internet, so thought we’d go for it.”
You may also want to watch:
At first they couldn’t decide what to make it - they considered hardware and fishing but both were already covered in Ottery.
“I then came up with the car accessories idea and it went from there,” said Carole. “We also get in parts for people who are doing their own work on cars. Things are picking up really nicely, we’ve had a great response from residents.”
- 1 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 2 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Local storyteller looks to folklore for reminders that every action has consequences
- 10 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
Next door, Rob and Dania Ashby-Crane have opened the second branch of the family-run jewellers, the first having opened 30 years ago in Exmouth.
They knew the previous owners, Paul and Sue Hackett. “They wanted to retire, and we wanted to expand,” said Dania.
The store offers jewellery repair and bespoke design services.
“We are a member of the National Association of Goldsmiths, so people can be assured they are dealing with a proper jewellers,” said Dania.
While Dania will be spending most of the time in Ottery, gemologist and jewellery designer Rob will be going between the two shops. They will be moving to Ottery in January.
A week since opening, Dania was pleased: “We like Ottery very much and the response has been fantastic, people like the fact there’s a jewellers in town.”