Tragedy as man, 37, dies after car collapses onto him
- Credit: Archant
Victim from Sidmouth was ‘working on vehicle’ - police
A 36-year-old man working beneath a car in Sidmouth died after the vehicle collapsed on top of him, police said.
The emergency services were called to Betjeman Close at around 6.30pm on Saturday.
Fire crews found the casualty had already been removed from under the car before and provided oxygen therapy and CPR until the ambulance service arrived.
The man was airlifted to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital by police helicopter, where he was pronounced dead by medics.
You may also want to watch:
A Devon and Cornwall police spokeswoman said: “It appears the man was working under the car. He was found under the vehicle. The vehicle appears to have collapsed on top of him.
“He was evacuated by police helicopter to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.”
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 6 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 9 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 10 After shopping in town why not give your feet a treat
Police said the death was not being treated as suspicious and the man’s next of kin had been informed.
“An investing report will be compiled for the coroner,” the police spokeswoman said.