Tragedy as man, 37, dies after car collapses onto him
- Credit: Archant
Victim from Sidmouth was ‘working on vehicle’ - police
A 36-year-old man working beneath a car in Sidmouth died after the vehicle collapsed on top of him, police said.
The emergency services were called to Betjeman Close at around 6.30pm on Saturday.
Fire crews found the casualty had already been removed from under the car before and provided oxygen therapy and CPR until the ambulance service arrived.
The man was airlifted to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital by police helicopter, where he was pronounced dead by medics.
A Devon and Cornwall police spokeswoman said: “It appears the man was working under the car. He was found under the vehicle. The vehicle appears to have collapsed on top of him.
“He was evacuated by police helicopter to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.”
- 1 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
- 2 Opinion: 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 3 South West Water on the look-out for new graduate trainees
- 4 SRC joins battle of Woodbury Common, Oh My Obelisk and the Sir Walter Round
- 5 Sidmouth in Bloom hope to sow the seeds for national glory
- 6 Property of the Week: Lower Broad Oak Road, West Hill
- 7 Girlguiding achievements celebrated at church service
- 8 Managing the woodland at the Knapp in Sidmouth
- 9 'We'll have to put up with roadworks for a few weeks'
- 10 Lethal Wasps produce five-star display
Police said the death was not being treated as suspicious and the man’s next of kin had been informed.
“An investing report will be compiled for the coroner,” the police spokeswoman said.