Tragic gift spurs bros to get on bikes in memory of uncle
TEENAGE brothers, gifted a bike by their terminally ill great uncle before he died, will tackle a 900-mile ride he had always dreamed of completing.
Siblings Sam and Ollie Turner could be the youngest ever to cycle the length of Britain for charity.
They aim to finish a mammoth mission from John O’ Groats to Land’s End in just 11 days in memory of cancer victim Malcolm Turner - and to boost the spirits of a pal, who is currently seriously ill with the devastating disease.
Bravery shown by Malcolm and family friend John Massen, 42, inspired the boys to get on their bikes.
Sam, 15, and Ollie, 13, of Newton Poppleford, hope to raise �26,000 for Cancer Research UK, Hospiscare Devon, and Sidmouth Hospiscare.
Terminally-ill cycling-ace Malcolm, 67, handed Ollie his cherished bike – and gave the brothers’ plans his blessing - before losing his fight against cancer in November. He had always wanted to ride from Land’s End to John O’Groats.
“Malcolm’s bike was a going-away present that had a big impact on our decision to do this,” said Ollie.
- 1 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 4 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 6 Major firefighting operation tackles blazing barn in Whimple
- 7 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 8 Top six big books of the year to enjoy this winter
- 9 Tips on managing your utility bills this winter
- 10 Programme of concerts set to delight classical-music lovers
Sam added: “We know he’d be proud of us.”
The boys’ Brothers on Bikes Facebook page has attracted nearly 1,000 followers from across the globe in just three weeks.
They will clock up an average of 80-miles-a-day on the ride and have been training under a military-style regime led by Newton Pop Royal Marine Mike Cooper - who has completed the challenge five times before.
The boys will be joined on the ride by cousin Christopher Williams, 16, dad Andy Turner, 42, and Geoff Hadley - one of Malcom’s best friends.
Andy said: “Sam and Ollie won’t be the youngest to do it – but they could be the youngest siblings.”