Travellers illegally occupy Sidmouth’s Manor Road car park
- Credit: Archant
A community of travellers illegally occupied part of Sidmouth’s Manor Road car park for three days last week, but left before the weekend.
Six families arrived with eight caravans and horse boxes, plus a range of vehicles, last Wednesday (May 11).
East Devon District Council (EDDC) said the travellers made no payment and told officers they intended to stay until Saturday.
An EDDC spokeswoman said: “They were asked to move on immediately, but declined. The council was very aware of the potential impact that the encampment would have on car parking availability in Sidmouth. However, in these situations, the council also has a clear duty of care towards the persons encamped on its land.”
After establishing there was no welfare issue, EDDC served notice at 10am last Thursday and told the travellers if they did not vacate the car park within 24 hours, they would be removed by bailiffs. EDDC said the travellers left the site after ‘a certain amount of persuasion’ at 7.30pm the following day.
You may also want to watch:
Sergeant Andy Squires said some members of the group had been accused of ‘pushy’ sales techniques. He confirmed their goods were not stolen, despite residents’ concerns.
- 1 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 2 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 3 Sidmouth defeat Boringdon in national competition
- 4 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 5 Rugby youngsters finish season with five tries
- 6 Tim Martin of Wetherspoons wants government to offer visas to EU workers to help out in pubs
- 7 New youth project will help young people's voices to be heard
- 8 Old Fore Street pedestrian zone will be open for bicycles to use
- 9 Communities encouraged to apply for rural building funds
- 10 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward