Trekking quartet and dog raise �2,285 for scouts
A HARDY quartet and their four-legged friend took on an epic coast-to-coast trek across England and raised �2,285 to boost a bid to hand the 1st Sid Vale Scouts a new home.
Gareth Hughes, Tony Preston, Brian Manwaring, Dave Hedges and Molly netted the sterling sum by completing the gruelling 192-mile Wainwright Walk over 13 days.
The Sidmouth contingent were part of a group of seven men who took on the challenge from St Bees head in Cumbria to Robin Hoods Bay in Yorkshire.
Other members of the party raised cash for the Genesis Cancer charity and Help for Heroes.
The 1st Sid Vale scout group Sidmouth has planning permission for a new building on Salcombe hill field.
You may also want to watch:
Final details for building regulations are being finalised before going out for fixed price tenders with local builders.
The hard work will continue to fundraise for the amount needed.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 6 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 7 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 8 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 9 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 10 Woman flown to hospital after fall
“Scouting in Sidmouth is ever increasing with as many as 130 girls and boys involved with the group with waiting lists for children to join,” said Brian.
“A decent venue is holding us back so we are desperate to build for our future.”
To support the group contact Gareth on 01395 515552.
Donations can be made out to: 1st Sid Vale scout group c/o Mrs D Molyneux Goodrich House, Cheese Lane, Sidmouth, EX108RA.