Trekking quartet and dog raise �2,285 for scouts
A HARDY quartet and their four-legged friend took on an epic coast-to-coast trek across England and raised �2,285 to boost a bid to hand the 1st Sid Vale Scouts a new home.
Gareth Hughes, Tony Preston, Brian Manwaring, Dave Hedges and Molly netted the sterling sum by completing the gruelling 192-mile Wainwright Walk over 13 days.
The Sidmouth contingent were part of a group of seven men who took on the challenge from St Bees head in Cumbria to Robin Hoods Bay in Yorkshire.
Other members of the party raised cash for the Genesis Cancer charity and Help for Heroes.
The 1st Sid Vale scout group Sidmouth has planning permission for a new building on Salcombe hill field.
You may also want to watch:
Final details for building regulations are being finalised before going out for fixed price tenders with local builders.
The hard work will continue to fundraise for the amount needed.
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 5 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 6 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 7 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 8 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
“Scouting in Sidmouth is ever increasing with as many as 130 girls and boys involved with the group with waiting lists for children to join,” said Brian.
“A decent venue is holding us back so we are desperate to build for our future.”
To support the group contact Gareth on 01395 515552.
Donations can be made out to: 1st Sid Vale scout group c/o Mrs D Molyneux Goodrich House, Cheese Lane, Sidmouth, EX108RA.