Trespassers warned to stay away from Ottery St Mary's Salston Manor 'for their own safety'
PUBLISHED: 06:05 17 June 2016
Police appeal following recent vandalism
Trespassers have been warned to stay away from the decaying Salston Manor ‘for their own safety’, following another spate of vandalism at the site.
Police received reports of a break-in at the former hotel on Ottery’ s outskirts on Sunday, June 5, after residents were alerted by the sound of glass smashing.
The Grade II listed building has long been earmarked for redevelopment, but is in a state of disrepair and a frequent target for vandals and trespassers.
Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward who might be able to identify the culprits or pass on any relevant information. Officers have also issued a warning for people to stay away from the site.
PCSO Maria Clapp, of Ottery’s neighbourhood police team, said: “We are really concerned for the safety of people who break into Salston Manor. Patrols in the area are paying particular attention to the site because of a number of issues there. It is quite dangerous.”
The project manager for Salston Manor Developments Ltd told the Herald last month that work to preserve the historic building would start soon.
This week, he reiterated concerns for people’s safety and warned trespassers to steer clear of the site.
Anyone with relevant information to pass on to police can phone 101 or email email@example.com quoting CR-037177-16.