Trio of power cuts frustrates Sidford residents

PUBLISHED: 16:07 30 November 2008 | UPDATED: 11:46 17 June 2010

FRUSTRATED Sidford residents were plunged into darkness this week after three power cuts in three days. Homes in Fleming Avenue were left without electricity for stints on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights. Lynn Cornish came home from work to darkness

FRUSTRATED Sidford residents were plunged into darkness this week after three power cuts in three days.

Homes in Fleming Avenue were left without electricity for stints on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights.

Lynn Cornish came home from work to darkness two evening running and was annoyed in her attempts to get electricity supplier Western Power to shed some light on what was happenning.

She said: "Like most people today I have cordless a cordless telephone, which without power does not work, being left on hold to a 0800 number using a mobile that is chargeable is extremely costly.

"I was able to establish that due to an extension being built on another property in the road there is a major fault that they have problems accessing to carry out a repair, this lead to the supply going off at 8pm on Sunday for two hours."

"Monday night at 7pm off it all went again, no one could say what was happening and it took more than an hour to get someone on site, we eventually went back on at 8.20pm."

"On Tuesday 7pm came and we were plunged into darkness again. When calling all I could be advised is that we were on a temporary supply and that when people come home from work and put on appliances it cuts out.

"No one said when we were coming off the temporary supply, what was being done to repair the main fault and when or if they had anything in planned to ensure that if the same thing happens again someone is on site ready to act far quicker than they have so far.

"This road has a lot of elderly residents who I am sure in this cold weather found this very awkward to deal with."

Western Power said the black-outs were due to a "high voltage fault" which affected the road, however it is confident the problem has been rectified.

A spokesperson added: "Homes were switched to an alternative supply and repairs were carried out Monday. New cables put in on Tuesday and switched on on Wednesday. We apologise to those affected but hope the work done will resolve the issue.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists