Trip down memory lane
A selection of Herald stories through the ages
SIDMOUTH Town Band, who are competing in the Band Contest at Crystal Palace today, assembled at the Drill Hall last evening arrayed in their new uniforms (hihc were greatly admired) in order to play over their test piece. There was a large audience, which included the whole of the Sidmouth Urban District Council. Bandmaster Davison thanked the council for its assistance and the inhabitants of Sidmouth for their support.
ON Tuesday evening the Village Hall, Sidbury, was packed to capacity with an enthusiastic audience on the occasion of a concert and variety entertainment arranged in aid of Sidbury, Sidford and Salcombe Regis Nursing Association. Organiser Mrs Prendergast had again collected a fine selection of sketches and numbers.
50 years ago
RODNEY Hartnell, of 8 Hillside, Sidbury, brother of last year’s mascot of Sidbury United AFC, Ian Hartnell, was successful in being the mascot this season. He collected �10-5-0 in penny votes and receives the Supporters’ Cup for the ensuing season. The presentation was made on Saturday, prior to the Sidbury United v Uffculme match by the club’s new captain Mr J Thomas.
SIDMOUTH Arts Club commence their first rehearsal for their 1961 production at the Winter Garden, Sidmouth, September 29 at 7.45pm. The society, after much thought, has decided to present as their 1961 Easter Production Belinda Fair, a comedy to music, which was first presented at the Saville and Strand Theatres, London, in 1949.
25 years ago
- 1 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 2 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 3 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 4 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 5 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
- 6 Waves of enthusiasm for Sidmouth Sea Fest
- 7 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 8 'Amazing' fossils on display at Sidmouth Museum
- 9 Lifeguards return to Sidmouth beach
- 10 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
SIDMOUTH’S swimming pool project should take priority over the plan to provide a municipal golf course in East Devon, local councillors said this week. In asking for the pool to take priority, Sidmouth Town Council’s publicity and resort amenities committee is backing the local ratepayers’ association, which has discovered through a poll of members that 85 per cent feel the town has been left behind in the leisure activity stakes.
SIDMOUTH Air Training Corps’ 2019 squadron spent their annual camp at RAF St Mawgan, Cornwall, this year being the first on which female cadets could attend. On the day after arriving they were invited by the Royal Auxiliary Airforce Regiment to have a go on their close combat, battle handling course, which was enjoyed by all the cadets taking part.