Trip down memory lane
A selection of Herald stories through the ages
SIDMOUTH Town Band, who are competing in the Band Contest at Crystal Palace today, assembled at the Drill Hall last evening arrayed in their new uniforms (hihc were greatly admired) in order to play over their test piece. There was a large audience, which included the whole of the Sidmouth Urban District Council. Bandmaster Davison thanked the council for its assistance and the inhabitants of Sidmouth for their support.
ON Tuesday evening the Village Hall, Sidbury, was packed to capacity with an enthusiastic audience on the occasion of a concert and variety entertainment arranged in aid of Sidbury, Sidford and Salcombe Regis Nursing Association. Organiser Mrs Prendergast had again collected a fine selection of sketches and numbers.
50 years ago
RODNEY Hartnell, of 8 Hillside, Sidbury, brother of last year’s mascot of Sidbury United AFC, Ian Hartnell, was successful in being the mascot this season. He collected �10-5-0 in penny votes and receives the Supporters’ Cup for the ensuing season. The presentation was made on Saturday, prior to the Sidbury United v Uffculme match by the club’s new captain Mr J Thomas.
You may also want to watch:
SIDMOUTH Arts Club commence their first rehearsal for their 1961 production at the Winter Garden, Sidmouth, September 29 at 7.45pm. The society, after much thought, has decided to present as their 1961 Easter Production Belinda Fair, a comedy to music, which was first presented at the Saville and Strand Theatres, London, in 1949.
25 years ago
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 4 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 5 Date announced for unveiling of Ottery's Coleridge statue
- 6 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 7 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 8 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
SIDMOUTH’S swimming pool project should take priority over the plan to provide a municipal golf course in East Devon, local councillors said this week. In asking for the pool to take priority, Sidmouth Town Council’s publicity and resort amenities committee is backing the local ratepayers’ association, which has discovered through a poll of members that 85 per cent feel the town has been left behind in the leisure activity stakes.
SIDMOUTH Air Training Corps’ 2019 squadron spent their annual camp at RAF St Mawgan, Cornwall, this year being the first on which female cadets could attend. On the day after arriving they were invited by the Royal Auxiliary Airforce Regiment to have a go on their close combat, battle handling course, which was enjoyed by all the cadets taking part.