Triumph for Sid Vale costume makers
A TEAM of carnival costume makers are celebrating this week after winning the best costume trophy at Saturday s Taunton carnival.
A TEAM of carnival costume makers are celebrating this week after winning the best costume trophy at Saturday's Taunton carnival.
Katherine Baker, Janet Beavis, Karen Wilson and helpers Val Harper and Jo Crick, made 16 costumes for the colourful Showboat, this year's float entry from Sid Vale Carnival Club.
Holding aloft the bronze statue and certificate on their behalf, secretary Marion Perry said it was a real feather in their cap for the club's first outing in this year's Somerset circuit.
She said: "Katherine was so pleased because it is lot of hard work. We started planning the float in March and the costumes were finished by the end of August.
You may also want to watch:
"There are 12 on the float and four other costumes were made for those who double up on it."
There is a �2,000 budget for costumes which the team has to work to.
- 1 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 2 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 3 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 4 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 5 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 6 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 7 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 8 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 9 Sidmouth charity shop needs your donations!
- 10 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
This year the seamstresses made two white captain's outfits, red corseted sparkly tops with feathers for women, as well as red dresses with corseted tops and satin skirts in red and gold with black trim.
The male gamblers wore gold coats with red lapels, black trousers and shoestring ties.
Showboat came second in their Feature Class at Taunton, and was up against two competitors Eclipse and Phoenix clubs, which it beat.
The club came a "brilliant" second out of six in the class, pipped to first by Harlequin CC from Chard with their float Incantation.
"This is one of our most expensive floats," said Marion. "This year materials have gone up, everything you touch costs more.
"We are in desperate need of funds, so if anyone out there would like to sponsor us for next year we would welcome donations."
Next stop on the Somerset circuit for Sid Vale CC is Bridgwater and North Petherton.