TV bid for Sidmouth dementia group
- Credit: BBC/Ray Burmiston
A project to preserve the stories of Sidmouth dementia sufferers will receive crucial cash if leaders can win over the public with national exposure.
The Sid Valley Memory Café faces stiff competition for the National Lottery funding but organisers hope an appearance on The One Show will make the difference.
Their project, Moments in Time, uses reminiscence and nostalgia to make dementia sufferers feel valued for who they are and the stories they have to share.
Project coordinator Rachel Johnstone said appearing on television was a ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ chance for a small memory café that is making a ‘real difference’ in the area.
“We are delighted to have reached the finals of the National Lottery Awards,” she said. “It is an amazing opportunity to showcase the difference we make and put ourselves on the map.”
Through the project, people living with dementia and their carers have taken reminiscence trips to heritage sites, enjoyed talks from historians, handled props and artefacts from their childhood and shared stories.
It has also created a lasting legacy in the form of a book and a website.
- 1 Opinion: 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 2 Arrows flying straight in the Sidmouth Darts League
- 3 Property of the Week: Lower Broad Oak Road, West Hill
- 4 Sidmouth Hospice at Home fulfils local man's final wish
- 5 New assistant chief constables at Devon and Cornwall Police
- 6 'We'll have to put up with roadworks for a few weeks'
- 7 Girlguiding achievements celebrated at church service
- 8 Managing the woodland at the Knapp in Sidmouth
- 9 Rugby round-up from the East Devon region
- 10 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
Launched last January, Moments in Time is just one of seven projects vying for the National Lottery’s heritage award.
It is up against the Museum of Liverpool and Portsmouth’s Mary Rose Museum for the £2,000 bounty.
“We are up against very good competition,” Rachel said. “But we do have local support and we will give it our best shot.”
To vote for Moments in Time, visit www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk/project/moments-time or call 0844 836 9694.
n Watch BBC One’s popular magazine programme at 7pm on Wednesday.