TV celebrity to appear at Sidmouth Science Festival
- Credit: Archant
One of television’s most popular natural world presenters is taking time out of wrestling alligators to talk at Sidmouth’s second science festival.
Professor Iain Stewart is bringing his enthusiastic style to the town to talk about the making of his BBC programme Rise of the Continents.
He will be swapping the arid deserts of the US for the East Devon seaside as he makes a number of appearances that will also see him hand out prizes at Sidmouth College and give a talk on science communication.
Prof Bob Miles, who is organising the line up of speakers, said: “We are very lucky to have engaged Prof Iain Stewart as he is busy filming as well as being the professor of geoscience communication at the University of Plymouth.
“He is an excellent communicator so we can look forward to an entertaining and educational evening.”
You may also want to watch:
Dave Bramley, the chair of the science festival organising committee, said: “I hope he will be able to put our position in the World Heritage Site into perspective.”
Although he is well known as a world wanderer, Prof Stewart is also the patron of the English Riviera GeoPark, and devotes much of his time to the geology and landscape of the South West.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 6 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 9 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
The festival line-up also features Institute of Physics president Sir Peter Knight and Prof Laurence Eaves.
It will run from October 14 to 20, when there will be events across the town for all ages.