TV celebrity to appear at Sidmouth Science Festival
- Credit: Archant
One of television’s most popular natural world presenters is taking time out of wrestling alligators to talk at Sidmouth’s second science festival.
Professor Iain Stewart is bringing his enthusiastic style to the town to talk about the making of his BBC programme Rise of the Continents.
He will be swapping the arid deserts of the US for the East Devon seaside as he makes a number of appearances that will also see him hand out prizes at Sidmouth College and give a talk on science communication.
Prof Bob Miles, who is organising the line up of speakers, said: “We are very lucky to have engaged Prof Iain Stewart as he is busy filming as well as being the professor of geoscience communication at the University of Plymouth.
“He is an excellent communicator so we can look forward to an entertaining and educational evening.”
You may also want to watch:
Dave Bramley, the chair of the science festival organising committee, said: “I hope he will be able to put our position in the World Heritage Site into perspective.”
Although he is well known as a world wanderer, Prof Stewart is also the patron of the English Riviera GeoPark, and devotes much of his time to the geology and landscape of the South West.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Date announced for unveiling of Ottery's Coleridge statue
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 7 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 8 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 9 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 10 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
The festival line-up also features Institute of Physics president Sir Peter Knight and Prof Laurence Eaves.
It will run from October 14 to 20, when there will be events across the town for all ages.