TV gardener to open Byes project
A star from TV’s Gardeners’ World will be on hand to launch the Friends of the Byes (FOTB) biodiversity project this weekend.
The group want to get as many people along to the start of the scheme, which also aims to help improve usage within the parkland.
Celebrity gardener Anne Swithinbank, who is from East Devon, will be the special guest at the event tomorrow afternoon, where guests will also get to meet local groups involved with improving wildlife in the Sid Valley.
The Gardeners’ World presenter will launch the event by planting another tree in the Byes community orchard.
FOTB chairman Michael Horsnell said: “It’s great that Anne will be with us to help celebrate the completion of this stage of improvements.
You may also want to watch:
“She is such a bubbly personality and an accomplished gardener, we feel very honoured.”
The friends have also been busy this year planting trees, wildflowers and installing benches to make gentle improvements to the riverside parkland in the heart of Sidmouth.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 9 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
There will also be a children’s wildlife hat competition with prizes and adults are invited to wear something wildlife related to join in the fun.
Alongside the launch will be stream dipping sessions, orienteering events, bug hunts, badge making and other games for all ages.
People are invited to take their own picnic, but there will be food and drink available, as well as a plant and wildflower seed sale.
The launch party starts at noon, and runs until 4pm, centred on the pair of evergreen oaks in The Lawn area of the Byes.