TV gardener to open Byes project
A star from TV’s Gardeners’ World will be on hand to launch the Friends of the Byes (FOTB) biodiversity project this weekend.
The group want to get as many people along to the start of the scheme, which also aims to help improve usage within the parkland.
Celebrity gardener Anne Swithinbank, who is from East Devon, will be the special guest at the event tomorrow afternoon, where guests will also get to meet local groups involved with improving wildlife in the Sid Valley.
The Gardeners’ World presenter will launch the event by planting another tree in the Byes community orchard.
FOTB chairman Michael Horsnell said: “It’s great that Anne will be with us to help celebrate the completion of this stage of improvements.
You may also want to watch:
“She is such a bubbly personality and an accomplished gardener, we feel very honoured.”
The friends have also been busy this year planting trees, wildflowers and installing benches to make gentle improvements to the riverside parkland in the heart of Sidmouth.
- 1 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 2 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
- 5 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 6 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 7 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 8 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
There will also be a children’s wildlife hat competition with prizes and adults are invited to wear something wildlife related to join in the fun.
Alongside the launch will be stream dipping sessions, orienteering events, bug hunts, badge making and other games for all ages.
People are invited to take their own picnic, but there will be food and drink available, as well as a plant and wildflower seed sale.
The launch party starts at noon, and runs until 4pm, centred on the pair of evergreen oaks in The Lawn area of the Byes.