U-turn on camper van ban in Sidmouth car parks
- Credit: Archant
A ban on camper vans in Sidmouth town centre car parks was officially overturned on Thursday, but over night stays are still outlawed.
The U-turn from East Devon District Council (EDDC) follows a campaign by motorists, who said the previous measures preventing vans from parking in the town centre car parks were ‘draconian’.
EDDC is still encouraging van owners to park their vehicles in the larger car parks for greater ease of access and reminds drivers of larger vans that if they take up two spaces, they must pay for both.
Under the new rules, parking will be allowed between 8am and 10pm and overnight parking is still prohibited in all car parks.
Campaigner Helen Gibson-West, of Russell Street, welcomes a more ‘common sense approach’ from the authority, but still feels the new rules are too restrictive.
You may also want to watch:
Read a full response in the Herald on Friday.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 5 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 6 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead