Unusual fare at Otterton Mill’s celebration of apples and game
Some unusual fare will be on offer at Otterton Mill s Celebration of Apples and Game on Saturday, October 25, including wild boar sausages, squirrel and rook kebabs, and rabbit burgers.
Some unusual fare will be on offer at Otterton Mill's Celebration of Apples and Game on Saturday, October 25, including wild boar sausages, squirrel and rook kebabs, and rabbit burgers.
The fun-filled day is designed to celebrate the game season and apple harvesting, currently in full swing in Devon. Mill owner Simon Spiller said: "We hope customers will be tempted to be adventurous and sample some of the more unusual meats on offer, both from the outside BBQ and in our restaurant.
"Other dishes will include spiced venison and dark chocolate casserole, curried goat, wild mallard and bitter orange sauce and smoked eel with horseradish. Our aim is to promote sustainable and local food production in a fun and interactive way".
The mill has marked Apple Day for several years, but this year has expanded the event to include a game emphasis, following demand from the mill's customers who share a passion for food using the freshest local and seasonal produce. "With constant talk of food shortages and farming methods coming under scrutiny, there has never been a better time to celebrate the virtues of eating wild game," Simon said.
You may also want to watch:
The mill is partnering with Devon-based apple juice producers, Bowhayes Farm and Heron Valley, plus Devon game specialists Clinton Devon Estates and Complete Meats to offer a fun-packed day of activities and demonstrations including: apple pressing, game meat tastings, bushcraft demonstrations, apple bobbing and toffee apple making. Entry is free. The event runs from 10am to 5pm.
Running order for the day is:
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 7 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
10:00 - 17:00 Cider Apple Pressing (bring your own apples)
10:00 - 17:00 Apple Bobbing and Apple Peeling Contests
10:00 - 12:00 Toffee Apple Making
10:30 - 11:00 Mini Shelter Building for Kids
10:30 - 12:00 Baking Demonstration
11:30 - 12:30 Wild Food Workshop with Chris Holland
11:30 - 12:30 Game Bird Plucking Demonstration
11:30 - 12:30 Milling Demonstration
12:30 - 13:00 Game Meat Boning Demonstration
14:00 - 15:00 Making Fire from Friction
14:00 - 16:00 Toffee Apple Making
14:00 - 15:00 Milling Demonstration
14:00 - 16:00 Pumpkin Carving
16:30 - 16:45 Raffle & Apple Contests Announcement