Up-close royal wedding thrill for Sidmouth woman
Sarah Sparks from Woolbrook joins 500,000 in The Mall to see Prince William and Catherine Middleton’s balcony kiss
IT was a once-in-a-lifetime chance, and Sarah Sparks, administrator at St Nicholas Junior School, Woolbrook, took it.
She travelled to London on Thursday and, with a friend, was among the estimated 500,000 in The Mall for Prince William and Catherine Middleton’s wedding on Friday.
“I just thought it was the one and only time ever I would do it and it was an experience not to miss,” said Sarah. “The police did a fantastic job when they were going up The Mall and as they went past everyone cheered and clapped them.”
She thought she might be crushed in efforts to reach Buckingham Palace, but said Sarah: “There was no rushing, it was really well organised and I felt very safe. So many people managed to get near the front. I saw the kiss but there were so many people waving flags I didn’t get a picture.”
You may also want to watch:
However she did take this scene of the Royal Family on the palace balcony.
“I thought Catherine looked beautiful and just thought the whole thing was so well done, they were a credit to the country.
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 3 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 4 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 5 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 6 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 7 Supermarket makes a super gesture to help community food charity
- 8 Sidmouth charity shop needs your donations!
- 9 Batty fun activities for all at donkey sanctuary
- 10 New interiors showroom offers inspiration for your home
“It was so emotional with people singing to the hymns, it was just a fantastic atmosphere.”
Sarah said official programmes were just �2 so most bought them from the scouts and other organisations selling them.
“I’m very glad I went and I will keep the programme as a souvenir.”