Update: Large hole forces overnight closure of road between Ottery St Mary and West Hill
- Credit: Archant
Heavy rain blamed after culvert collapses
The road between Ottery St Mary and West Hill will remain closed overnight because of a large hole that appeared this morning (Wednesday).
A recent deluge of heavy rainfall caused the culvert to collapse at Foxenhole Mill where police and highways teams attended the scene earlier today.
The resulting chasm in the road has been described as approximately one metre by 500 centimetres wide and around one metre deep.
Police attended the scene this morning and highways teams were alerted.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Devon County Council highways department confirmed the road will definitely remain closed overnight and said teams will return to re-assess the scene tomorrow (Thursday).
Drivers are asked to avoid West Hill road in the meantime.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 4 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 5 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 8 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 9 Ottery St Mary sadly lose a club legend
- 10 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett