Update: Large hole forces overnight closure of road between Ottery St Mary and West Hill
- Credit: Archant
Heavy rain blamed after culvert collapses
The road between Ottery St Mary and West Hill will remain closed overnight because of a large hole that appeared this morning (Wednesday).
A recent deluge of heavy rainfall caused the culvert to collapse at Foxenhole Mill where police and highways teams attended the scene earlier today.
The resulting chasm in the road has been described as approximately one metre by 500 centimetres wide and around one metre deep.
Police attended the scene this morning and highways teams were alerted.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Devon County Council highways department confirmed the road will definitely remain closed overnight and said teams will return to re-assess the scene tomorrow (Thursday).
Drivers are asked to avoid West Hill road in the meantime.
- 1 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Local storyteller looks to folklore for reminders that every action has consequences
- 9 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council