Urgent O- blood donor appeal by NHS
- Credit: Archant
AN urgent appeal for O negative blood donors has been made by the NHS after the Norovirus outbreak led to stocks falling low.
There has been increased demand for the blood type, known as the ‘universal donor’ as their blood can be given to patients with a different blood group.
Combined with a dramatic increase in the number of people correctly cancelling their appointments due to fears over the winter vomiting bug has led to the request.
Jon Latham, from NHS Blood and Transplant, said: “We would like to urge all O- donors to walk into their most convenient donor session to give blood to help rebuild stock levels.
“We are always grateful to donors who respond to calls such as this and appreciate that in doing so they do give up some of their precious time.”
You may also want to watch:
For more information or to book an appointment call 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.blood.co.uk.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 9 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98