Urgent work needed at ‘seriously deteriorated’ Salston Manor
- Credit: Archant
Owners of the decaying Salston Manor have been ordered to begin ‘urgently necessary’ work to protect the Grade II listed building.
Conservation officers have raised ‘significant concern’ about the ‘seriously deteriorated’ condition of the former hotel and say the central section of the building has collapsed.
And to prevent further damage, they have ordered a range of urgent repair measures including a temporary roof, structural support for all internal walls and ceilings and the boarding up all of the building’s doors and windows.
In a letter to solicitors representing the property’s owners, East Devon District Council (EDDC) allowed them a fortnight to begin works at the building – a deadline which passed on November 11.
A spokesman for EDDC said this week that officers would now move on to the next stage of the process for protecting listed buildings set out by English Heritage.
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman said: “We have taken the first two steps, which involve writing to the developers asking them to carry out works, followed by a more robust instruction to carry out the works as a matter of urgency.
“The deadline given in that second letter has now passed.”
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Date announced for unveiling of Ottery's Coleridge statue
- 6 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 7 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 8 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 9 Nature's own nocturnal acrobats gracing the skies in Devon
- 10 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
Planning law allows EDDC to issue an ‘urgent works notice’ and step in to carry out the repairs itself – then claim the costs back from the owners.
The spokesman added: “The next stage is to hold a meeting with the developers where we remind them of their responsibility towards the building and insist that they do the necessary work or risk us issuing them with an urgent works notice.
“That meeting is scheduled to take place in the next few days and we will then be able to explore the options the developer may have for carrying out these vital works whilst maintaining the viability of the site as an investment and development opportunity.”
The hotel closed its doors in 2007 and the site was sold on in 2011.
Jirehouse Capital, the solicitors acting on behalf of the new owners, submitted new plans to convert the building in to 25 flats, which were approved earlier this year.
The Herald approached Jirehouse for a comment on their intentions, but had received no reply as it went to press.