Vandals target Sidmouth War Memorial Club
Building materials set alight
LATE-night vandals set fire to palletes of building materials at a Sidmouth social hub in the early hours of Saturday morning.
A mystery passer-by has been thanked for putting out flames in the grounds of Church Street’s War Memorial Club as police this week launched a hunt for the culprit.
Brand new building and garden materials wrapped in cellophane were set alight between 2am and 3am on July 9.
The items were outside the club as a patio was being put down at the venue this week.
You may also want to watch:
War Memorial Club manager Ian Thomas said: “It’s annoying more than anything else.
“Someone who came past at 3am put it out.
- 1 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 4 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 10 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
“It could have been very costly if somebody hadn’t spotted it.
“I’m grateful to the person that put it out- they saved us money.”
Police said they are investigating a criminal damage offence and would like to hear from anyone who witnesses the incident, or who has any information as to who is responsible.
Anyone with any information can contact police on 08452 777444, quoting crime KS/11/389,or alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or online at www.Crimestoppers-uk.org.