Vanessa plans fundraisers for trip to Kenya
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth woman has organised a series of fundraisers to boost a volunteer programme supporting some of the poorest communities in the world.
Vanessa Cullimore is aiming to raise £800 for International Citizen Service (ICS) before she heads out to Kenya later this year to support growing businesses in the country.
The 23-year-old was inspired by her friend’s trip to Tanzania and went herself for three months last year and is now looking forward to her next trip.
The Sidmouth resident, who will be travelling with Balloon Ventures, said: “I wanted to raise awareness about their work because I did not know about it until my friend mentioned it. I think it would be quite good for people that want to volunteer.”
The qualified nursery nurse has until January 26 to raise half of her target, and has planned a sponsored silence, pub quiz and a coffee cake morning.
You may also want to watch:
Vanessa is holding her sponsored silence on Monday (January 15) and quiz at the Balfour Arms on Wednesday (January 17) at 7.30pm.
Prizes for the raffle cost £1 have been donated by local businesses.
- 1 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 10 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
She hopes to host a coffee and cake morning later this month where she will be making friendship bracelets to sell.