Victoria Comforts Fund ‘hopes to go on forever’
- Credit: Archant
A CHARITY that raised £4.5million in 25 years to fund a complete renovation of Sidmouth’s hospital has vowed to carry on benefiting the health hub for the next quarter of a century and beyond.
Sidmouth Victoria Comforts Fund this month closed its appeal to raise £255,000 for the fifth and final phase of the long-term project that has seen facilities brought into the 21st century.
Driving forces hope residents realise that - while one individual aim has been reached - the comforts fund, founded in 1948, will carry on raising money to purchase equipment and anything else needed that the NHS cannot provide.
The help of the community is vital in this, and the next fundraising event is a flower arranging demonstration with Olive Price and a ploughman’s lunch at Kennaway House on Wednesday, May 14.
Tickets (£10) are available from Paragon Books.
You may also want to watch:
Comforts fund secretary Margaret Carter said: “The final phase of our 25-year plan is finished - but we hope to go on forever. The fund will always be needed to provide equipment and other things.”
- 1 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 2 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 3 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 4 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 5 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 8 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 9 Grab your chance to win a new TV from Fords South West Ltd
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight