Victoria Comforts Fund ‘hopes to go on forever’
- Credit: Archant
A CHARITY that raised £4.5million in 25 years to fund a complete renovation of Sidmouth’s hospital has vowed to carry on benefiting the health hub for the next quarter of a century and beyond.
Sidmouth Victoria Comforts Fund this month closed its appeal to raise £255,000 for the fifth and final phase of the long-term project that has seen facilities brought into the 21st century.
Driving forces hope residents realise that - while one individual aim has been reached - the comforts fund, founded in 1948, will carry on raising money to purchase equipment and anything else needed that the NHS cannot provide.
The help of the community is vital in this, and the next fundraising event is a flower arranging demonstration with Olive Price and a ploughman’s lunch at Kennaway House on Wednesday, May 14.
Tickets (£10) are available from Paragon Books.
You may also want to watch:
Comforts fund secretary Margaret Carter said: “The final phase of our 25-year plan is finished - but we hope to go on forever. The fund will always be needed to provide equipment and other things.”
- 1 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 4 East Devon affordable housing task force
- 5 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community
- 6 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 7 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 10 Village panto group secures prestigious national award