Video and pics: Jeremy Vine opens Tipton St John fete
- Credit: Archant
50-year anniversary fete of Tipton’s community field opened by BBC Radio 2 presenter Jeremy Vine. Video and Pictures: Terry Ife.
Thousands of people turned out to celebrate the anniversary of a community field that has served Tipton St John for 50 years.
Visitors enjoyed a weekend-long fete to mark the event, raising thousands of pounds for a children’s play area and the societies and clubs which took part.
The weekend kicked off on Friday with performances from a number of live artists.
The following day then featured a 10k run, fun run, flower, vegetable and produce show, an art and photography competition and dog show.
You may also want to watch:
Radio 2 presenter Jeremy Vine also attended to launch the fete officially before visitors were able to enjoy everything from a barbecue and a miniature boat competition to old-fashioned school sports, tug-of-war and an evening disco and hog roast.
There was also a celebratory church service and the cutting of the anniversary cake by two former committee members who were responsible for buying the field 50 years ago.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 5 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 6 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 7 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 8 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 9 Rugby on a rollercoaster of disruption
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
Ann Knight, the summer fair committee’s chairman, said: “Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it and had a lovely weekend. We really got the village together.”