Video and pics: Jeremy Vine opens Tipton St John fete
- Credit: Archant
50-year anniversary fete of Tipton’s community field opened by BBC Radio 2 presenter Jeremy Vine. Video and Pictures: Terry Ife.
Thousands of people turned out to celebrate the anniversary of a community field that has served Tipton St John for 50 years.
Visitors enjoyed a weekend-long fete to mark the event, raising thousands of pounds for a children’s play area and the societies and clubs which took part.
The weekend kicked off on Friday with performances from a number of live artists.
The following day then featured a 10k run, fun run, flower, vegetable and produce show, an art and photography competition and dog show.
You may also want to watch:
Radio 2 presenter Jeremy Vine also attended to launch the fete officially before visitors were able to enjoy everything from a barbecue and a miniature boat competition to old-fashioned school sports, tug-of-war and an evening disco and hog roast.
There was also a celebratory church service and the cutting of the anniversary cake by two former committee members who were responsible for buying the field 50 years ago.
- 1 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 7 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 8 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 9 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 10 Two superb centuries in Sidbury victory
Ann Knight, the summer fair committee’s chairman, said: “Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it and had a lovely weekend. We really got the village together.”