Volunteers needed for Commando Challenge
Devon Air Ambulance Trust seeks help to marshall competitors in Commando Challenge across Woodbury Common
VOLUNTEERS are needed by Devon Air Ambulance Trust to help at its biggest fundraising event of the year this weekend.
The annual Commando Challenge, now in its 21st year, starts at Bicton Arena on Saturday, October 8 and Sunday, October 9, and volunteers are needed to marshall the route across Woodbury Common to the Royal Marines assault course.
Almost 4,000 participants are booked to take on the challenge over the two days, with the warm-up training and support offered by serving Royal Marine Commandos.
Caroline Creer, fundraising director of DAAT, explained: “This event is always so well supported and every year the teams say what a fantastic time they have had.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s the only time of the year that the course is open to the public and, with the help of the Royal Marines themselves, it really is a unique challenge, which also raises significant funds for both the Trust and The ‘C’ Group, the Royal Marines charity. “As with any event of this size, however, the safety of participating teams is paramount and that relies on the goodwill and help of a great number of volunteers.
“We would be really grateful to hear from anyone who can come along on either of the days to offer a hand.”
- 1 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 2 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
- 5 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 6 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 7 Read all about it! Toto pays a visit to the bookshop
- 8 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 9 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
If you can help at this event call Caroline Creer of DAAT on (01392) 466666, or, if you have grit, determination and a terrific sense of humour then why not enter a team for this year’s Commando Challenge.
Entries are still available on the day. Visit www.commandochallenge.co.uk for details.