Volunteers still needed for Sidmouth Poppy Appeal
VOLUNTEERS are still needed to help with this year s Poppy Appeal, which begins next Saturday (October 25).
VOLUNTEERS are still needed to help with this year's Poppy Appeal, which begins next Saturday (October 25).
With last year's total of £13,100 an all time record, it will prove hard to beat, but organisers are hopeful.
Sidmouth Poppy Appeal organiser Liz Langham said: "That appeal marked the end of the 60 years of the end of World War Two. This year is the 90th anniversary of the end of the first world war, as well as the centenary of the Territorial Army".
"I am seeing poppies in my dreams. I have 10,000 in the house, in my front room and spare bedroom, they are everywhere!"
You may also want to watch:
"I need as many people as possible to collect. So far I have over 40 but need more."
Remembrance Day is on Sunday, November 9 and a service marking it will take place in the parish church at 11am led by The Reverend Prebendary David James.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
The traditional Garden of Remembrance service takes place with the 'planting' of memorial crosses on Friday, November 7 at 10am.
On Tuesday, November 11, Armistice Day will be marked with a two minute silence at the War Memorial.
During the appeal Mrs Langham will decide the recipient of the Poppy Appeal Support Cup, awarded to somebody that has supported the appeal exceptionally. Appreciation certificates will also be handed out along with the George Hodges Shield for window displays.
Anyone able to help during Poppy Week should contact Mrs Langham on (01395) 578987.