Walking tall! Plucky trio’s �8k trek bonanza
Thousands raised by duo and their dog
A PLUCKY Sidmouth pair and their four-legged friend are walking tall after raising �8,000 and counting with a huge charity trek to boost terminally ill youngsters.
Russ Smith, Liz Hayman and Fizzy the dog are nearly three weeks into their two-month bid to walk the 630-mile South West Coastal Footpath in aid of Children’s Hospice South West.
“We’ve raised quite a bit so far… but it’s just the start. The walk is gorgeous yet gruelling,” they told the Herald while on their travels through Cornwall this week.
They have urged generous townsfolk to keep giving, join them, or follow their daily antics on an internet blog.
You may also want to watch:
The trio set off from Minehead Steam Railway Station on Easter Monday and have been covering around 15 miles a day.
They were joined by family, friends and even members of the Sidmouth Mummers and Sidmouth Steppers when they set off.
- 1 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 2 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 3 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 4 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 7 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 8 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 9 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight
Granddad-of-six Russ, 64, said the trio have become ‘hardened campers’ as they’ve endured storms, high winds and enjoyed unseasonal sunshine along the way- collecting as they go.
Visit www.witterthewalk.wordpress.com for more information, to follow the Russ, Liz and Fizzy’s progress, or to sponsor them. Donations are also welcome at Sidmouth’s Paragon Books in Sidmouth High Street.