Warning after same vans targeted twice in two months around Sidmouth

PUBLISHED: 15:43 25 January 2018 | UPDATED: 15:51 25 January 2018

PCSO Phil Thomas

PCSO Phil Thomas

Archant

Sidmouth police are urging tradespeople to remove their tools overnight after two vans were targeted – exactly two months after they were last broken into.

PCSO Phil Thomas said the thieves were successful with one in Newton Poppleford but spooked off by an alarm on the other in Sidford, both in the early hours of January 15.

The same vehicles were broken into on November 15 and a large quantity of work tools were removed.

PCSO Thomas said: “Since then another works van in the Sidmouth town area has been broken into and power tools again removed.

“The offender favours vans with side doors but will also break in to rear doors.

“The advice would be to take all tools into a secure building overnight, or at least the most valuable ones, and also to consider CCTV, outside lighting and a trembler alarm for the vehicle. Such alarms are relatively inexpensive.

“Try to park vehicle in such a manner such as close to garage doors or a wall to make entry more difficult.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the police on 101 and quote crime reference CR/004568/17.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald