River algae risk to dogs still a concern, say Sidmouth and Ottery vets

PUBLISHED: 17:00 18 June 2020 | UPDATED: 07:49 19 June 2020

A dog frolicking in water. Picture: Getty Images

A dog frolicking in water. Picture: Getty Images

mauinow1

Dog walkers are being warned against letting their pets go into rivers and ponds because of the risk of a potentially lethal algae.

Otter Vets, which has branches in Sidmouth and Ottery St Mary, said the blue-green algae releases dangerous toxins that a dog might ingest by drinking the water, or cleaning its fur after swimming.

The vets initially publicised the warning after the very hot spell at the end of May, as the bacteria tend to form in warm, dry conditions.

But veterinary surgeon Rebecca Tedford said the risk is not over.

She said: “We haven’t had any confirmed cases, but it’s something we’re still advising people to be aware of.”

The symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures/fitting, weakness/collapse/unconsciousness, disorientation, drooling and breathing difficulties.

Any owner whose dog displays any of these symptoms after entering a river should get veterinary advice.

The bacteria can also cause rashes, sickness, stomach pains, fever and headaches in humans, with children at more risk than adults.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald