River algae risk to dogs still a concern, say Sidmouth and Ottery vets
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Dog walkers are being warned against letting their pets go into rivers and ponds because of the risk of a potentially lethal algae.
Otter Vets, which has branches in Sidmouth and Ottery St Mary, said the blue-green algae releases dangerous toxins that a dog might ingest by drinking the water, or cleaning its fur after swimming.
The vets initially publicised the warning after the very hot spell at the end of May, as the bacteria tend to form in warm, dry conditions.
But veterinary surgeon Rebecca Tedford said the risk is not over.
She said: “We haven’t had any confirmed cases, but it’s something we’re still advising people to be aware of.”
You may also want to watch:
The symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures/fitting, weakness/collapse/unconsciousness, disorientation, drooling and breathing difficulties.
Any owner whose dog displays any of these symptoms after entering a river should get veterinary advice.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 7 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
The bacteria can also cause rashes, sickness, stomach pains, fever and headaches in humans, with children at more risk than adults.