Warning over council tax scam
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Sid Valley residents are being warned to be on their guard against fraudsters claiming to offer a discount or rebate on council tax.
East Devon District Council (EDDC) says it has received fresh reports of scammers contacting households in the area and pretending to be working on behalf of the authority.
This comes after an 80-year-old East Devon woman was cold-called last week and told she was eligible for a rebate because she had lived in her house for so long.
Residents are told that they are due a refund, or that their home can be reclassified into a lower council tax band, and then asked for their bank account details.
An EDDC spokesperson said: “We have been alerted by concerned residents to a council tax refund scam, currently being operated in the district.
You may also want to watch:
“Residents need to be aware that if anyone contacts them by telephone, claiming to be from EDDC and asking for bank details, they must not give them this information.
“These are hoax calls made by fraudsters.”
- 1 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 2 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
- 5 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 6 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 7 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 8 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
To report any incidents of suspected fraud, contact police through Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040, or make an online report at www.actionfraud.police.uk.
If the caller says they are from the council asks for bank details to repay credit, it would help the police to quote reference number NFRC 150 401 010 683.