Water leak causes Sidmouth ‘chaos’
LATEST: Busy road should reopen today- police
A JUGULAR route into Sidmouth is set to be reopened today (Thursday, April 28), say police, after a massive water leak caused “chaos” in the town.
Police said they received reports of a burst water main where Arcot Road meets Temple Street at around 1.55am on Wednesday morning.
Water board technicians turned up half an hour later and the stretch was shut and has remained so since.
A Devon and Cornwall Police spokesperson said traffic problems in Alexandria Road and surrounding areas were subsequently reported.
You may also want to watch:
One irked resident told the Herald on Wednesday: “From 7am this morning no buses were running through Woolbrook area due to road works no-one knew were going to take place- leaving literally hundreds of people unknowingly waiting for a bus and missing work, school and other appointments.”
South West Water (SWW) said repair work was completed by midday on Wednesday.
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 7 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 8 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 9 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 10 East Devon author launches satirical book
More to follow.