Water leak causes Sidmouth ‘chaos’
LATEST: Busy road should reopen today- police
A JUGULAR route into Sidmouth is set to be reopened today (Thursday, April 28), say police, after a massive water leak caused “chaos” in the town.
Police said they received reports of a burst water main where Arcot Road meets Temple Street at around 1.55am on Wednesday morning.
Water board technicians turned up half an hour later and the stretch was shut and has remained so since.
A Devon and Cornwall Police spokesperson said traffic problems in Alexandria Road and surrounding areas were subsequently reported.
One irked resident told the Herald on Wednesday: “From 7am this morning no buses were running through Woolbrook area due to road works no-one knew were going to take place- leaving literally hundreds of people unknowingly waiting for a bus and missing work, school and other appointments.”
South West Water (SWW) said repair work was completed by midday on Wednesday.
- 1 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 4 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 5 Major firefighting operation tackles blazing barn in Whimple
- 6 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 7 Top six big books of the year to enjoy this winter
- 8 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 Tips on managing your utility bills this winter
- 10 Rugby Round-Up from the East Devon region
More to follow.