Water leak causes Sidmouth ‘chaos’
LATEST: Busy road should reopen today- police
A JUGULAR route into Sidmouth is set to be reopened today (Thursday, April 28), say police, after a massive water leak caused “chaos” in the town.
Police said they received reports of a burst water main where Arcot Road meets Temple Street at around 1.55am on Wednesday morning.
Water board technicians turned up half an hour later and the stretch was shut and has remained so since.
A Devon and Cornwall Police spokesperson said traffic problems in Alexandria Road and surrounding areas were subsequently reported.
One irked resident told the Herald on Wednesday: “From 7am this morning no buses were running through Woolbrook area due to road works no-one knew were going to take place- leaving literally hundreds of people unknowingly waiting for a bus and missing work, school and other appointments.”
South West Water (SWW) said repair work was completed by midday on Wednesday.
- 1 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 2 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 3 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 4 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 5 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 6 Lifeguards return to Sidmouth beach
- 7 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
- 8 'Amazing' fossils on display at Sidmouth Museum
- 9 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 10 Service veterans 'crowdfund' to buy Queen's Colours flag for Sidmouth
More to follow.