Watery wonders at art exhibition
MARINE House at Beer is staging its seventh solo exhibition by landscape artist John Hammond.
Specialising in acrylics, the Wiltshire-based artist first became known to gallery owners Mike and Rosemary Lambert at the South West Academy of Fine and Applied Arts summer show in 2000, where he won a prize. They have had a close working relationship ever since.
“The other solo shows we’ve held have all been very successful and we are now established as John’s leading gallery in the UK,” said Rosemary.
John’s work covers a range of locations - from London and landmarks including Trafalgar Square to the waterways of Venice, via Beer and Fowey, Cornwall.
‘Reflections’ is the theme of the show, mirroring John’s delight in capturing light on water.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve always been drawn to water. I can happily sit and watch the waves rolling in and out, or the ripple of a stream for hours,” he said. “I find the challenge of painting water a thrill.”
Mike praised his ability to depict the reflective nature of light on water – be it wet pavements, rivers or the sea - as “peerless”.
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 3 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 4 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 5 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 6 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 7 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 8 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 9 Time to enjoy summer safely as restrictions lifts
- 10 Property of the Week: Green Gables
A private view of the exhibition of more than 40 new paintings is on Saturday, September 18, 11am to 5.30pm. John will be there. The complete catalogue of work can be viewed at www.marinehouseatbeer.co.uk and the sale continues until Friday, October 1. It is open daily 10am to 5.30pm at the gallery in Fore Street. Call (01297) 625527 for further details.